BIENVENUE SUR MON BLOGUE-WELCOME TO MY BLOG

THIS BLOG's GOAL IS TO OBJECTIVELY INFORM.EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COMMENT

CE BLOGUE A POUR BUT D'INFORMER DE MANIÈRE OBJECTIVE

E. do REGO

IL EXISTE MILLE MANIERES DE MENTIR, MAIS UNE SEULE DE DIRE LA VERITE.

Le Mensonge peut courir un an, la vérité le rattrape en un jour, dit le sage Haoussa .

Tant que les lions n’auront pas leurs propres historiens, les histoires de chasse continueront de glorifier le chasseur.










Monday, October 14, 2013

Describe how you would feel about traveling to another country for a procedure or, if you have ever done so, how that care compared with your experience in the U.S.

·         Greg New york 2 months ago
I would absolutely travel to another country for major savings. I took care of my mother, who lived in Mexico, and covered many medical procedures in private hospitals there. They see the gringo coming but prices are still half the USA, and the care, equipment identical - rooms far superior to NYC or Dallas. Docs are much more attentive, spend much more time with you, and are spiritually and personally enlightened.

·         Anonymous minneapolis 2 months ago
As care here declines, as it is so declining, and costs soar, the prospect of a european health care location for a proceedure seems not just acceptable, but perhaps preferable.

·         Vinson Hampton 2 months ago
I had an eye exam in Hong Kong. No one spoke english. It was fast, accurate and inexpensive. A computer operated device did all the work. The same exam in the US is $250 out of pocket with my vision coverage. Not major surgery but an example f how other countries do things better and more cheaply than we do.

·         RW Richards Boulder 2 months ago
I had my right hip replaced in 2008 at a clinic in Utah and the total fees to the insurance company were $28,000. I had my second hip resurfaced in Colorado in 2010 and the total fees to the insurance company were close to $78,000. I have had several friends do the Belgium clinic for hip replacements and they have had good results. My belief is that politics and money are the biggest barrier to our health care system which worries me if the government (which is all about politics and money) is allowed to control the system.

·         Anonymous Chico 2 months ago
I would be much more comfortable if I could stay in the US for major surgery where I could have the support of my family and friends and, in case of medical complications, be close to my surgeon. However, if cost were the deciding factor whether I could have joint replacement which would keep me out of pain and allow me to continue an active lifestyle, I'd definitely look into having the surgery done in another country. Shame on our health care system which forces its citizens to have to make these kinds of decisions! KC

·         JRS New York, NY 2 months ago
I would certainly travel abroad for such a procedure. The irony of how the medical mafia has seized total control and inflated the costs of health care in the US versus the constant mantra of "free market" that holds our Congress in thrall is astounding. Where is "free market" competition and transparency when it comes to medical procedures?

·         Raymond Williams Las Vegas, NV 2 months ago
I'm 71 years old. As such, having an implant may become a necessary reality eventually. I walk 3-4 miles a day for exercise. These days I often ponder if I will be able to do this next year, next month, or tomorrow. Undoubtedly, I would travel to Belgium or wherever to obtain the affordable care needed for me to continue this lifestyle.

·         Anonymous Phoenix 2 months ago
I'm told that in many European countries the ability to speak English fluently is a requirement to 'high school' graduation. I've never encountered any communication issues during medical treatment in Europe. As for the 'what if' argument regarding complications after arriving home, I would recommend finding a doctor who has read and embraced the Hippocratic oath. Anyone who criticizes foreign care without having even travelled outside of the states is simply naive and oversold on our medical system. Being the costliest has not made it the best.

·         Connor Dougherty Denver 2 months ago
If I were forced to travel to another country for a procedure that should be available here were it not for greedy medical profiteers, I would seriously consider applying for permanent admittance to that other country. I'm disgusted with how our leaders and our voters are letting this country go to the highest bidder.

·         Anonymous San Luis Obispo 2 months ago
If I were not eligible for Medicare to pick up the cost I wouldn't hesitate to travel out of the country for a surgical implant, providing the facility had a stellar reputation. The pain from a worn out joint is debilitating.

·         anonymos Houston 2 months ago
No, I would not. Having had both hips replaced, one in '95 in Miami with private ins and the other in '05 in Houston with Medicare, for a total out of pocket cost for both of $5500. Both were 4-5 days in the Hospital post surgery, a week of post surgery hospital rehab, and a month of physical therapy. I will agree that the cost of health care is expensive, but believe it is because of lawyers convincing people that they "are entitled to compensation." Try to collect on frivolous law suits in these other countries.

·         Frauke Voss Toronto 2 months ago
I had two hip replacements performed in Toronto, Canada, at a hospital specializing in joint replacement. The only cost incurred was taxi fare to the hospital and telephone rental ($4 per day) while in hospital. We pay for our health care through taxes and never have to worry about receiving medical attention.

·         Anonymous Laconner 2 months ago
I would take the next flight to Belgium if I needed surgery. Global healthcare pricing and competition will continue and the US will have to compete in that market, or lose out on all the future boomers.

·         Jan San Rafael, CA 2 months ago
If I did not belong to Kaiser, the large HMO, I would have gone to another country for my two hip replacements. The cost for my hip replacements was $500, payment for the total of 4 nights in the hospital. It is a sad commentary on our country that anyone is forced to go to another country for a surgery that is out of reach of many people.

·         Liz Kelner Taos, New Mexico 2 months ago
Yes I definitely would. Folks should know that Cuba - 90 miles from our shore - has one of the best orthopedic hospitals in the world with costs lower than Belguim, Lack of access to the medical resources in Cuba is another sad result of the embargo and travel ban that is hurting our own citizens.

·         Johnny Cincinnati 2 months ago
I had one of my hips replaced in 2004 and the total bill was about $33,000, of which I paid about a $1400 deductible. Now my other hip is going south and I just may do the same to get it replaced. I heard several locations in South America are very reasonable and high quality. This is a great opportunity for travel agents (or any one, actually) to make great money setting up these trips abroad. and

·         Anonymous New York 2 months ago
I feel angry, pure and simple, at just the thought of having to travel to another country to receive healthcare. No one is the US should even have to think about needing to travel abroad to receive health care that should be readily available and fairly priced for those who need it here in the US. We are being deprived of something that is generally considered a basic human right in every other developed nation. Shame on us for this monumental failure of our society.

·         Please don't believe everything Charleston 2 months ago
I can't point out all the bullshit in this article in only 100 words. As usual the anger is misplaced. The average knee in the US is $4,000 (probably the same in Brussells) and in many countries it's significantly higher. 99 percent of hospitals pay this amount. Denial based on a "pre existing sports injury", that's ridiculous, blame the insurance company. $70,000 markups, blame the hospital. Ignorant and irresponsible reporting that could effect policy that helps no one, blame the moron who authored this crap. The average implant now lasts 20 years, that's $200 a year...

·         Anonymous Omaha 2 months ago
I have had three surgical procedures outside of the United States, 2 in Panama and 1 in Mexico. I received very good, cutting edge medical care at a fraction of the price, along with simply being treated like a human being. I will probably never go to the U.S. for health care again. Expensive doesn't always equate to superiority of product or service.

·         Laura Billington Maple Valley WA 2 months ago
My husband had eight dental implants done in Los Algodones (just over the border, 7 miles from Yuma, AZ, for a total cost of $9200 vs $44,000 here in the Seattle, WA area. State of the art equipment and dentists licensed in both AZ and Mexico. Even with the cost of two trips, rental cars, and motels, it was less than one fourth the cost of having it done here. Crowns are $200, and I had an extraction and xrays for $60. I cannot speak more highly of the entire experience--it was flawless.

·         Anonymous Idaho 2 months ago
I would be very willing to travel to another country for a procedure so long as I could verify the quality in that country. In fact, I would rather do that than allow the same device manufacturer, surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc. make the outrageous profits that they do in the US.

·         OldeNurse Delton 2 months ago
I would not hesitate to travel to another country if it provided the level of care such as in Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, etc. My father traveled to another country for treatment of his cancer in 1960s; the therapies were not 'legal' in the US; he survived until 2010, working and living well, into his mid-nineties. The criminality of the level of price manipulation in health-care-related industries is becoming widely known. Don't these individuals responsible for such extortion and fraud realize that they are accountable on many levels?

·         Mel Addison 2 months ago
It is a disgrace how marked up everything is. It just shows competitiveness. People opt out when prices get too high.

·         Med Fadel College Station 2 months ago
In a heart beat! Greed and lack of oversight is bringing our healthcare system down very rapidly. Medicare is so poorly managed it is beyond comprehension. Imagine what will happen when the number of seniors will double to 80 million in just 20 years or so! The issue of greed is across the board: insurance companies, drug makers, hospitals, and device manufacturers; to name but a few!

·         Anonymous San Francisco 2 months ago
While travelling in the Netherlands I had a dental emergency. The resolution required oral surgery at the university hospital in Amsterdam. My cost for all visits, medicines, and surgery totaled $180 USD. It would have cost thousands in the US. Having my trip marred by such a painful experience was a small price to pay for high quality health care. The surgeon even offered me tea during consultation! I'd travel to Europe in a heartbeat for medical treatment of any kind and encourage others to do so every chance I get. Medicare for all is our best solution!

·         Anonymous Warsaw 2 months ago
Really sad that we need to travel to another country to take care of our medical care, I do it all the time, traveling to my countrynof birth, due to the height cost of the medical service and hospitalization here in USA and also the high cost of the health insurance with a high deductible

·         Felipe Fort Worth 2 months ago
I have not traveled for a medical procedure yet, but would do so in a heartbeat should the math add up as it nearly did, for the extraction of two wisdom teeth, earlier this year.

No comments:

FAITES UN DON SI VOUS AIMEZ LE CONTENU DE CE BLOGUE